Startup Interview: Devan Stormont, Creator of the Popular Weather Route App


Hello, Devan.  Thank you for joining me for this interview. Why don’t we start by having you give a little background about yourself?

Hi Trevor, it's my pleasure to join you. I'm a software engineer at a mid-size company here in Reno, where I'm heavily involved with product development and internal training. On the side, I wrote a little app called Weather Route.

What inspired you to create the Weather Route App?

Two winters ago, I had plans to visit my out-of-state parents for Christmas. A large weather system moved in that wasn't completely a "bad storm". It had areas of being clear, but they would shift around as the weather system moved. I tried for a while to plan a road trip through the storm, but getting information about which roads were clear and which were not was almost impossible from existing weather sites, especially when long hours of driving were factored in.

Eventually, I gave up and canceled my plans for the trip. But, Weather Route was born!

Currently, Weather Route is limited to the United States.  Do you have plans to expand to International Markets?

Yes. I just completed a big overhaul in the weather forecasting that will allow the app to work internationally. I've begun rolling this out to some foreign markets.

I understand you’re coming off some pretty significant gains in membership after this holiday season.  What can you tell me about that?

Absolutely! This was a very exciting winter for me. Once the weather started turning bad, I began getting very consistent user growth - about 12% user growth a week, very regularly, almost like clockwork. By the time that had slowed down with the winter trailing off, I had 5x as many users as I'd started with.

Reno has been getting some buzz lately for a number of tech startups in the area, how does it feel to be a part of this movement and have you had a chance to work with any other entrepreneurs in town?

It's very exciting to see the local tech industry growing with such momentum. I haven't been as involved as I should be, but I have participated in a couple of hackathons (the annual Space Apps Challenge). That has been a great way to meet other entrepreneurs and see what they're working on. Colin Loretz at the Reno Collective, Eric Jennings at Pinocc.io, and Joe Chavez (who runs the local Space Apps Challenge) are each fantastic local entrepreneurs.

Will Weather Route be available in other languages?

Yes. Right now, it is English-only, but I am planning on providing multiple languages, if the international version picks up well.

How can I find Weather Route?

The app is available on Google Play. Just type in "Weather Route" and it will pop right up!

What kind of users make up your core demographic and what markets are you trying to expand into?

I wrote the app to target vacationers, originally. What took me by surprise was the number of truckers that have started to use it. One thing I'd like to do is target that segment more with app solutions.

Can you tell me any future plans for Weather Route?

We've already touched on a couple areas - expanding to international markets and providing localization for other languages. I'm also examining porting the app over to the iPhone, as well. I've gotten some requests from coworkers to do so, indicating that the demand is there.

Customer satisfaction is arguably the core reason apps exist.  How do you keep your customers satisfied and do customer suggestions affect the development of future versions of the app?

I pay very close attention to what my users are telling me. Some of the best ways to get users impassioned about your product is when they complain to you about a problem or a missing feature and you go above-and-beyond in response. There's always some part of code I'd like to fix or some new feature I'd like to put in, but I take a "drop everything" approach with user feedback. If a user reports a problem, I'll hunker down until it's fixed. And if I start to hear about a wanted feature from two or three users, you can bet I'm working on implementing it!

Ultimately, it's users who drive adoption of an app forward. If a developer gets in the way of that adoption, they're only hurting themselves. Plus, it's just great to hear directly from users that you've fixed their issue!



Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions, now get back to work!

Comments